On the heels of President Obama’s announcement concerning homosexual marriage, DC comics announced that the comic book superhero, The Green Lantern, will be relaunched as a homosexual character. If it wasn’t already obvious, it should be at this point, the moral divide in this country is widening.
I have never been a comic book aficionado, but it seems most comic books today are very provocative and explicit. So, it surprised me no more than the President’s announcement, when I head DC Comics would feature a “gay” superhero. But again, my feelings are ones of great sadness and remorse for the immoral depths to which our country is sinking.
We, as Christians, must always remember we are in the midst of a great and terrible battle. Here is what we must do in response to our enemy:
1. We must “be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might” (Ephesians 6:10). Be strong, brothers and sisters, don’t be discouraged. Don’t lose hope. Don’t give up. Granted, the current state of affairs is not encouraging, but hold to the Lord and the truth of His word.
2. We must “stand against the schemes of the devil” (Ephesians 6:11). Since the beginning of time, Satan has lied and schemed (John 8:44). He calls evil “good.” He calls good “evil.” He is trying to make the sin of living in homosexuality seem innocent, harmless, and even pure. He is trying to make the world believe that those those who oppose homosexuality are hateful homophobic bigots. We must fight against these lies and schemes.
3. We must remember “we do not wrestle against flesh and blood” (Ephesians 6:12). Homosexuals, the Hollywood elites, and liberal politicians are not our enemies. These people are simply captives of our enemy (just as we were once captives of the enemy). Our goal is not to destroy them, but to help them to be set free from sin (Romans 6:1-11; 1 Corinthians 6:9-11)!
4. We must “take up the whole armor of God” (Ephesians 6:13). We will not win this battle by our own cunning and wisdom. In order to win the lost to Christ and keep ourselves from sin, we must use the armor which God supplies.
5. We must fasten “on the belt of truth” (Ephesians 6:14). Satan has taken the world captive by lies. But, Christ sets men free with Truth (John 8:32). Our goal is to “destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ” (2 Corinthians 10:5).
6. We must “put on the breastplate of righteousness” (Ephesians 6:14). When Satan attacks with evil, he hopes we will respond in kind. We must respond to evil with righteousness. Paul says, “the works of the flesh are evident” (Galatians 5:19-21). Among those is “sexually immorality”; but also among those is “fits of anger.” If we respond to the homosexuality agenda with fits of uncontrolled anger, we have played into Satan’s trap. Instead, we must respond with the fruit of the Spirit, “love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control” (Galatians 5:22-23).
7. We must “put on the readiness given by the gospel of peace” (Ephesians 6:15). The “gospel of peace” is compared to the soldier’s shoes. We must stand firm in the Good News of Jesus Christ. You must, “in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect” (1 Peter 3:15).
8. We must “take up the shield of faith” (Ephesians 6:16). When the word of God falls on an honest and open heart, it produces faith (Romans 10:17). Faith is believing God is who He says He is, trusting He will do what He says He’ll do, and obeying what He says to do (Hebrews 11). No matter what temptations you face, no mater what insults are cast your way, no matter what you are forced to endure, faith is the answer. When you believe, trust, and obey God, you are protected from the fiery darts of the evil one.
9. We must “take the helmet of salvation” (Ephesians 6:17). Only with a helmet upon his head, can a soldier walk out confidently onto a battlefield. The same is true on this spiritual battlefield. When we know we are in Christ, we can fight this battle with the utmost confidence.
10. We must wield “the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God” (Ephesians 6:17). Your only weapon in this battle is Scripture. I have heard Christians make the most absurd arguments against homosexuality. For instance, “Homosexuality is wrong because homosexuals can’t reproduce.” My response to that argument would be, “neither can many heterosexual couples; does that mean they shouldn’t be able to marry?” Of course not! Homosexuality is wrong for the simple reason that Scripture says it is wrong (Romans 1:26-27; 1 Corinthians 6:9). Likewise, Scripture is the tool by which the homosexual can be set free from his/her life of sin. Use the Word. Nothing else.
11. We must be “praying at all times” (Ephesians 6:18). Pray for our nation’s leaders. Pray for those struggling with homosexual temptations. Pray for those who are living in sin. Pray for those who are striving to bring lost souls to Christ. Pray for our nation. Pray for yourself. Pray that you may be bold. Pray that you may be honest. Pray that you may be loving.
12. We must open our mouths “boldly to proclaim the mystery of the gospel” (Ephesians 6:19). There may come a time, when it becomes illegal to speak the truth about this matter. It may be considered “hate speech” to say homosexuality is a sin. There are already places in the world where this is the case. We must all pray that we have the boldness to proclaim the Good News in love. We must boldly call sin, sin. And we must boldly tell people that we will not respond to sin with tolerance; we will respond with the Gospel.
We are in this fight together!
I love you and God loves you,
P.S. If you have anything to add to this, I would love to hear your thoughts. Feel free to share in the comments section below.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Join our mailing list to receive the latest blog posts as soon as they are published.