How does the Bible shape our thinking about biology and ethics? Medical technology has alleviated much pain and suffering, but it has also created ethical questions and dilemmas for Christians. How should Christians navigate questions about life, biology, health, and science?
In the first part of this episode, Wes McAdams and Travis Pauley discuss some general thoughts on bioethics and study some passages of Scripture (Genesis 1:26-31; Genesis 2:5-7; Romans 8:19-23), which give us a helpful framework for understanding and discussing these issues. Wes suggests two questions for Christians to ask:
- Does this decision show compassion to those suffering the effects of the Fall?
- Does this decision show respect for the whole human person (including the body), which is an image-bearer of God?
In the second part of this episode, Wes McAdams visits with Rebecca Westbrook about her journey with IVF and embryo adoption. Why did she decide to adopt embryos and why is she helping other couples to do the same? How has her faith influenced her decisions?
Links and Resources:
- Video: Watch This Episode on YouTube
- PDF: Transcript of This Episode (Thanks to Beth Tabor)
- Book: Love Thy Body by Nancy Pearcey (Amazon affiliate link)
- Bible Class: Being Human: What the Bible Says About Body, Mind, Soul and Spirit
- Podcast: Integrity and the Abortion Debate (Good Faith Podcast)
- Website: Embryo Adoption Project